Heart Healthy Recipes - Vegetable Slaw
A great new way to use summer vegetables.
Serves 8 | Serving size: 1 ¼ cups
3 cups water
1 cube vegetable bouillon, low sodium (40% less)
2 cups white potatoes, cut in 2-inch strips
2 cups carrots, sliced
4 cups summer squash, cut in 1-inch squares
1 cup summer squash, cut in 4 chunks
1 can (15 oz) sweet corn, rinsed, drained (or 2 ears fresh corn, 1 ½ cup)
1 teaspoon thyme
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk scallion, chopped
½ small hot pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, coarsely chopped
1 cup tomatoes, diced (add other favorite vegetables, such as broccoli and cauliflower)
- Put water and bouillon in large pot and bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes and carrots, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for tomatoes, and continue cooking for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove four chunks of squash and puree in blender.
- Return pureed mixture to pot and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Add tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let sit for 10 minutes to allow stew to thicken.
Calories: 119 Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 4 g Sodium: 196 mg
Carbohydrate: 27 g Fiber: 4 g
Total fat: 1 g Potassium: 524 mg
Saturated fat: less than 1 g
1 ¼ cups = 2 carbohydrate exchanges