Heart Healthy Recipes - Zucchini Lasagna
½ pound lasagna noodles (whole-grain if available), cooked in unsalted water
¾ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, grated
1 ½ cups fat free cottage cheese (use unsalted cottage cheese to reduce the sodium content. New sodium content for each serving is 196 mg.)
¼ cup low-fat Parmesan cheese, grated
1 ½ cups raw zucchini, sliced
2 ½ cups no salt added tomato sauce
2 teaspoons basil, dried
2 teaspoons oregano, dried
¼ cup onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9- by 13-inch baking dish with olive/canola oil spray.
- In small bowl, combine 1/8 cup mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese with all of the cottage cheese. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce with remaining ingredients. Spread thin layer of tomato sauce in bottom of baking dish. Add a third of noodles in single layer. Spread half of cottage cheese mixture on top. Add layer of zucchini.
- Repeat layering. Add thin coating of sauce. Top with noodles, sauce, and reserved cheese mixture. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake fore 30-40 minutes. Cool for 10-15 minutes. Cut into 6 portions.
(per serving or 1 piece)
Calories: 276 Cholesterol:11 mg
Protein: 19 g Sodium: 380 mg
Carbohydrate: 41 g Fiber: 5 g
Total fat: 5 g Potassium: 561 mg
Saturated fat: 2 g
1 cup (8 ounces) = 2 carbohydrate servings