Heart Healthy Recipes - Poached Salmon
The tomato relish adds just the right amount of flavor.
Spicy Tomato Relish:
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons yellow onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
¼ cup red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
Black pepper, to taste
4 5-ounce salmon steaks
3 cups water
4 black peppercorns
1 lemon, thickly sliced
3 parsley sprigs
1 small onion, thickly sliced
2 bay leaves
- For relish, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Using a pan large enough to hold salmon steaks, bring water to a boil and add peppercorns, lemon slices, parsley, onion, and bay leaf.
- Lower heat to a gentle simmer, cover, and let flavors infuse for 5 minutes. Add salmon steaks and make sure they are covered with water. Add additional water if needed.
- Cook, uncovered, for 10 to 12 minutes or until fish is just tender. It will flake easily when tested with a fork. Never let water boil or fish will toughen.
- Divide the relish on four plates.
Serving size: 1 salmon steak and ¼ cup relish
Calories: 246 Cholesterol: 93 mg
Protein: 31 g Sodium: 94 mg
Carbohydrate: 7 g Fiber: 2 g
Total fat: 10 g Potassium: 945 mg
Saturated fat: 3 g
Diabetes Exchanges: ½ carbohydrate serving